LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The New Israel Fund is the leading organization advancing and protecting Israeli democracy. We invest in progressive social change by supporting civil and human rights, religious freedom, shared society and social justice in Israel. NIF strengthens organizations and leaders that work to achieve equality for all Israelis; realize the civil and human rights of all, including Palestinians; recognize and reinforce the essential pluralism of Israeli society; and empower groups on the economic margins of Israeli society.
The Associate Director is responsible for assisting in the management of the San Francisco fundraising campaign as part of a development team. The Associate Director will steward an existing portfolio of donors of at least $1K and cultivate new high-level donors through private meetings, donor prospecting, and events. This position helps create and manage a strategic events plan designed to maximize fundraising, reveal new constituencies (both geographic and affinity based), and raise NIF’s visibility in the community. This position will also manage the annual Guardian of Democracy Dinner, NIF’s largest annual fundraiser. This position reports to the San Francisco Regional Director and works closely with NIF fundraisers across the country.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE
- Managing of donor files and stewardship of donors ($1K and above).
- Cultivating and soliciting donors, done by phone, written proposals, and face to face.
- Identifying new donor prospects by doing wealth assessment and prospect research on the internet and in collected materials from other related and/or regional philanthropies. This includes identifying new donor affinity groups for targeted programming, donor cultivation, and donor prospecting. E.g.: Israelis, attorneys, Sacramento region, etc.
- (Occasionally) Drafting grant proposals and reports to local family foundations.
- Event planning & coordinating with community leaders and volunteers, designing marketing materials, contracting with vendors, budgeting, setting-up and breaking-down events.
- Representing NIF in the community and responding to community requests locally with Israel and Jewish community groups and/or events where donors and potential donors are present. This includes speaking publicly on behalf of NIF.
- Staying informed on all NIF/Shatil news, knowing about NIF grantees and their work as it evolves and changes, understanding the sociological problems impacting Israeli society, and keeping abreast of trends in business, politics and philanthropy.
- Serving as a liaison for visiting grantees, arranging meetings, connecting them to relevant donors, and programming with them in the community.
- Recruiting participants for the NIF Study Tours to Israel.
- Working collaboratively with other members of the regional office and assisting others in large scale projects and programs.
- Maintaining accurate records and files of work performed and donor communications.
The Associate Director will be a proven development professional, and knowledgeable about Israel and the local philanthropic Jewish community. The ideal candidate will have strong leadership, strategic planning and communication skills, and a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and volunteers. Candidates should be familiar with socio-economic and political realities at play in Israel and the Occupied Territories as well as passionate for the work of human rights and social justice in Israel. Computer skills should include Raiser’s Edge, Word and Excel, database management, and experience tracking gifts.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a CV and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line “[Your Name]: SF Associate Director.” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.