POSITION TITLE: Development and Program Officer, Washington DC Region
STATUS: Full time, exempt
This position is included in a union-represented collective bargaining unit
START DATE: Immediate (job posted April 2023)
LOCATION: Washington, D.C.
Employee must live within commuting distance of Washington, DC and will be expected to work a hybrid schedule of some at-home days and some in-office days at the NIF office in NW Washington, DC
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The New Israel Fund (NIF) protects and advances equality and liberal democracy in Israel. Long credited with seed-funding and founding progressive civil society in Israel, NIF now leads the fight for democratic institutions and a socially just society that is truly shared by every Israeli. Read more about NIF
NIF seeks a driven, passionate, engaging, detail-oriented individual to join the Washington, DC team as a Development and Program Officer. The Development and Program Officer will work closely with the DC Regional Director in defining and fulfilling regional goals towards growth, including stewarding a robust file of donors, overseeing public events and programs including New Generations (20s and 30s) programs, and working with a cohort of local volunteers in the region. This position reports to the Regional Director of DC and works with NIF staff across the country and in Israel.
- Cultivate, solicit, and steward a file of donors, foundations, and prospects. Work includes donor meetings (in-person and virtual) and calls, and ongoing written/email communication with donors.
- Polish proposals and reports for donors, foundations, and prospects in collaboration with the Regional Director and the Grants Editor & Coordinator.
- Maintain and manage the regional donor database, including data input and queries.
- Deposit checks and prepare gift reports for all donations that arrive at the DC office, and other limited administrative work as needed.
Events & Public Presence:
- Plan and implement public events and donor parlor meetings.
- Learn the ecosystem of relevant community partners in the region (individuals, organizations, and institutions) and cultivate fruitful work relationships according to needs.
- Represent NIF in the community, and respond to community requests to feature NIF content/speakers. This may include speaking publicly on behalf of NIF.
- Effectively communicate information about NIF, its policies, values, history, key stakeholders, programs, and finances.
- Create, manage, and track event registration pages and email invitations.
- Prepare materials for in-person public events and provide technical support for virtual/hybrid events.
- Collaborate with the Regional Director on implementing a regional leadership development strategy, including but not limited to: planning and executing public programs, scheduling and planning meetings, maintaining active engagement and written correspondence with lay leaders, and preparing background materials for meetings.
New Generations (20s & 30s Programming):
- Work alongside the national NIF team to develop a regional strategy for a New Generations program in Washington, DC.
- Initiate and implement regional community outreach programs designed to engage donors and prospects in their 20s and 30s from the DC region.
- Steward and solicit regional donors in their 20s and 30s.
- Share office management responsibilities as a member of the NIF team in Washington, DC. This includes answering phone calls, receiving and sorting mail, and ensuring a welcoming office environment.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree plus 3+ years work experience, or 5+ years work experience without Bachelor’s degree
- Commitment to and enthusiasm for NIF’s mission and values
- Compelling interpersonal and group facilitation skills as well as ability to connect easily and sincerely with others
- Comfort speaking publicly to small and mid-sized groups
- Ability to work quickly and skillfully
- Detail-oriented, multitasking, problem-solving mindset
- Team player, collaborative worker
- Fundraising or related experience preferred
- Experience in medium- to large-scale program or event planning
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge, EveryAction or other CRM system, a plus
This position will work in NIF’s Washington DC office. NIF employees work a hybrid schedule and the person hired for this position should expect to work in the DC office a minimum of 1-2 days per week or more, as NIF policy requires. They must also be comfortable working from home.
SALARY AND COMPENSATION
The salary range for this position is $62,000-$72,000 annually based on skills and experience. NIF offers a generous benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, and life insurance; short-term and long-term disability coverage; dependent coverage; flex spending; retirement contribution; vacation, sick leave, and paid holidays (Jewish and secular).
Email cover letter and resume as PDFs to [email protected]. In the subject line, include the position title and your name. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and this position will remain posted until filled. No phone calls, please. Qualified candidates will be contacted via email.
The New Israel Fund promotes diversity in the workplace and believes it is important for our continuing success. We strongly encourage applications from all individuals, even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications listed above. We encourage applicants from historically marginalized groups, in particular: people of color and genderqueer, transgender, and non-binary people. We also welcome applicants from people of diverse religious, spiritual, and cultural backgrounds.
The New Israel Fund is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.