For the third-year running, the New Israel Fund (NIF) will be leading a one-of-its-kind trip to Israel and the occupied territories from July 14 – 23, 2019 to meet activists on-the-ground and learn about these issues in-depth and we want you to join us!
On the trip, you can expect to:
Connect with leading Israeli and Palestinian activists and learn about how various human rights and social justice struggles intersect
Meet with Mizrahi activists fighting racism against their community
Meet Palestinians in the West Bank and hear directly about their experience living under occupation – while also learning about Israeli human rights organizations who work to end it
Delve into social justice issues, like the struggle for the rights of African asylum seekers, the fight for public housing and against gentrification, and more
Get an up-close look at the reality of East Jerusalem and visit an unrecognized Bedouin village
Learn about the assaults on Israeli democracy and meet the activists working to preserve it
This trip is a great opportunity to learn alongside peers and friends (ages 21 – 35). NIF is based on the simple idea that those of us who share a commitment to Israel and to progressive values can join together to work for equality, freedom, and human rights. You will join a global cohort of participants from the U.S., Canada, U.K., and Australia, who will have the opportunity to connect with each other and with Israeli and Palestinian leaders on the ground.
Following the trip, participants will have the opportunity to engage in ongoing learning about the issues they encountered on the trip, continue to connect with Israeli and Palestinian leaders and NIF grantees, and will commit to developing projects together that build support for the issues they care about. They will also continue to interact as a cohort – the beginnings of a network of young Jewish progressives around the world.
The program is subsidized by generous donors in the NIF community. All “on-the-ground” costs – your accommodation and most meals – will be covered by NIF. If selected, participants are responsible for purchasing their own airfare and travel insurance.
For more details, contact Jacob Levkowicz at [email protected]
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Showing these realities to young people isn’t new for NIF. It’s baked into our DNA.
We understand that young people are eager to engage with an Israel that isn’t whitewashed or sanitized. That’s because they’re asking the same questions about fairness, equal rights, and social justice in Israel that they ask at home. They’re eager to build relationships with their Israeli and Palestinian counterparts on the basis of shared values, and they’re eager to work alongside the activists and leaders advancing human rights, equality, and justice.
No previous participation in NIF events or within the NewGen community is required.
- An opportunity to play a role in advancing positive social change in Israel
- Opportunities to meet and build relationships with Israeli and Palestinian activists and leaders from the human rights and social change community
- Networking opportunities to forge connections and partnerships with Israeli, Palestinian, and international peers and leaders, and to join an international community of like-minded activists
- Platforms for leadership and speaking opportunities within the American Jewish community and NIF’s networks
- Active engagement with Israel, preferably including having traveled to Israel previously and possessing a solid understanding of the issues affecting Israeli society
- Skills and experience in leadership and activism, and a keen interest in applying these within the American Jewish community
- Professional and/or voluntary experience relevant to the planning and execution of effective activities in areas such as fundraising, communications, and community organizing
- A strong affinity for NIF’s values and mission, and a desire and ability to act as ambassadors for NIF
- STEP ONE
Fill in the application form below by April 11, 2019.
- STEP TWO
If your initial application is accepted, we will invite you to interview in the two weeks after April 11, 2019.
- STEP THREE
We will notify applicants who have been accepted during the week of April 29, 2019.