Mickey Gitzin is the Director of the New Israel Fund in Israel. Prior to joining NIF, Mickey was the founding director of “Israel Hofsheet” (Be Free Israel), a leading grassroots organization fighting for separation of religion and state in Israel. Previously, Mickey was the spokesperson for MK Ilan Gilon (Meretz) and the Associate Director of “Festival BeShekel,” an organization advancing arts and culture in Israel’s geographic and socioeconomic periphery. After completing his military service as an intelligence officer, he served as a shaliach (emissary) in South Bend, Indiana for the Jewish Agency for Israel.
Mickey holds a Master’s in Public Policy from University College-London, for which he received a Chevening Scholarship from the British Foreign Office and the British Council.
In 2013, Mickey received NIF UK’s Human Rights Award, and in 2015, NIF’s Gallanter Prize for Emerging Israeli Social Justice Leaders.
- More than Just a Parade: LGBTQ Solidarity and Israel’s New Government
- What to Watch in Israeli Democracy: New Government Edition
- Defending the Right to Protest
- It’s Time for LGBTQ Israelis to Fight for the Rights of All
- A Time to Celebrate – and to Fight for Democracy
- There is No Future in Israel without Jewish-Arab Partnership
- That’s When I Understood – We Are Powerful
- Everyone in the Government Works with the New Israel Fund