The New Israel Fund’s founders envisioned an Israel that reflected their progressive values. Thousands of Israelis and supporters of Israel worldwide have since joined forces to push for an Israel where everyone can participate in a shared and just society. Together, we are working to build a stronger democracy in Israel, rooted in the values of equality, of inclusion, and of social justice.
In 2010, the Board of Directors of the New Israel Fund voted for the following set of Principles to define our worldview and our mission.
- Achieve equality for all the citizens of the state regardless of religion, national origin, race, gender or sexual orientation;
- Realize the civil and human rights of all individuals and groups through the protection of Palestinian citizens and other marginalized minorities, including the advancement of collective rights, and opposition to all forms of discrimination and bigotry;
- Recognize and reinforce the essential pluralism of Israeli society and tolerance for diversity;
- Protect the access of minorities to democratic channels for the expression of their interests and identities and the promotion of their rights;
- Empower civil society in Israel as the fundamental vehicle of an open society;
- Build and maintain a just society at peace with itself and its neighbors.